Friday 13 August 2010

Who's the GRANNY?

Guess what? George has arrived. Two weeks early, which caught everyone on the hop, not least daughter A., bless her, who measures punctuality by degrees of lateness and considers arriving anywhere early a waste of time. But two weeks!!! (repetition and gratuitous exclamation marks unavoidable at this point) Fourteen whole days!!! (Now I'm going to gush) And who cares because George, toes and fingers present and correct in number, is the most perfect, beautiful, blue eyed little baby a granny-grandma-nanny-gransy person could wish for.

Oh God!! I just said little baby didn't I? Why do people do that, why did I do it? It's not like they come in a vast range of sizes is it? Although I did read about a nineteen pounder born in Japan last week - nineteen pounds!!! Can you imagine? Still, as a rule littleness is the biggest thing about a baby so it hardly needs saying. I'll try not to do it again.

That sorted, George is absolutely the cutest (still feel oddly compelled to sneak in a 'little' here) baby I have seen since my children were born. Weighing in (sounds like a wrestler) at 6lbs 80z (which actually is quite little) sporting a full head of hair and wearing a determined expression that says "here I am, what now?" she is (apart from a pair of feet clearly inherited from her dad, nearly son-in-law S) the spitting image of her beautiful mum, daughter A, bless her. And the instant I saw her she crooked her tiny (silent 'little') fingers and curled them into my heart in ways I can't begin to describe without sounding completely bonkers.

Oh yes - did I not mention? George is also a (little) girl. I've got a (little) grand-daughter. And although she'll always be a bit of a George to me, her name is S (obviously not the same as new daddy nearly son-in-law S) and she has turned me into the gooyest, verging-on-talking-to-complete-strangers-ga-ga-blethering proudest new granny-nanny-grandma person in the world.










1 comment:

  1. is this it, you don't get off the hook now 'babs' has arrived, you are both new to this ,gran, thing so lets hear how its going

    ReplyDelete